Skip to main content

I'm either too old or too young for this

Okay, I know I'm not the only sixty-plus woman out there who's hooked on "American Idol." For one thing two of my girlfriends are equally hooked. But when we admit this to other friends we always make sure to add "we never vote." As one of my fellow addicts would say only the kids vote, mostly girls around the age of fourteen. I thought this was true.

So, here's what I don't understand. A few days ago - this is even more embarrassing than being an Idol watcher - I went with a friend to see a Taylor Hicks concert about 45 minutes from home. I'm making a point about how close it was and you'll see why in a minute. For those who don't know Taylor Hicks, a guy, was the A.I. winner a few years back - I do sort of lose track but it has absolutely nothing to do with faulty memory (well, it does but I don't like to admit it). So my friend (who will remain nameless because I don't out my friends) and I get to this cute venue that holds 320 people. And serves dinner. Dinner and a show - a mid-week night out - it was going to be fun...
We arrived an hour early so we could have dinner. There were two women, only 2, waiting for the doors to open. They were both in their sixties. One of the women proudly told us she drove 9 hours from Akron, Ohio and this was her forty-second Hicks concert. And by the end of the week, after following her Idol to New York, New Jersey and Vermont, she'd clock in 3 more concerts.
I'll get to the point, or points. The hall was half-full. There was no one there under fifty. Most were in their 60's and 70's. There were maybe 5 husbands. The women, many of them in Soul Train tee shirts (the name of the band) were enthralled, they were standing, swaying, clapping, cheering. My friend and I were not feeling it. We were far from feeling it. And it really wasn't Taylor Hicks' fault. He was fine. The band was fine. It was the whole geshtalt.

And I thought about poor Taylor Hicks. Surely, when he won Idol he must have had fantasies about singing to crowds of teenie boppers, hearing them swooning, screaming, having them toss their undies on the stage. Instead if anyone in our audience was going to toss something it would have been a cane. My friend and I, both Hicks' virgins felt like we'd entered another planet and not one we wanted to be in. Can I turn the clock back just a little? Does one time, one mistake count?
Oh, and the woman sitting next to us was eating some kind of spinach salad and it truly smelt like body odor. Actually I thought it was body odor until my friend nudged me, a napkin against her nose and gave the salad a glance. "I'm going to throw up," she said. I think the disgusting smell was only part of the nauseous feeling for both of us. But I will say I was relieved it was the salad and not my friend who smelled.

And so we left. $120 poorer. Really, who wants to pay that much money to be seriously depressed? At least, my equally depressed friend reminded me, we didn't drive there from Akron.

I was so happy to get home, cuddle up on the couch next to my husband and watch "House Hunters."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's get rid of the "pipe" in pipe dreams!

I have had dreams of doing any number of things all my life. Either I or others were quick to label them "pipe" dreams. "Pipe" as in foolish, impractical, ridiculous? A lot of people my age have come to realize that dreams are not the stuff of foolishness. The other day I got an email from a neighbor/friend from my old town who'd discovered my blog. She told me she had started a new "cottage" business of selling greeting cards with her amazing photos on them. Here's her site because you all really should check out these very original cards - www.jgfischel.com It was a reminder to me that no matter our age, young, middle, older, oldest, we have the opportunity to dream new dreams, or capture old dreams and actualize them. We can stop identifying them as "pipe" dreams. I think many of us have spent a good portion of our adult lives  on being practical, cautious, and maybe feeling a little scared or a lot scared. Many of us stifled our cre

Thank God you can pick your friends!

My husband and I are about to celebrate the 50th wedding anniversary of very special friends. We met Ted and Deanna 36 years ago and we've stayed strongly connected through a number of moves (ours not theirs), illnesses, life's many ups and downs. We've shared sad times and joyous times. We've traveled together, spent wonderful visits at each others' homes. I'm sure we must have shared thousands of meals together. Thousands of laughs. They've always, ALWAYS been there for us and we have always tried to be there for them. History. We have a deep and meaningful shared history. J. and I are  truly blessed to have a wonderful group of close friends and we value them all. But there are very few couples I've known and loved longer than this very special couple. You can't pick your blood relatives but thank God you can pick your friends. From the very first time we all met, J and I picked them. We were couples with young families. We were in the first dec

You can take the girl out of The Bronx, but...

Well, you know the rest. I have to confess for a long time I really tried to get rid of The Bronx. For a long time after that I thought I had. And for a long time I felt good about it. I'd escaped. No one could tell by my speech, my look, my style, etc. I used to love to hear, "You're from The Bronx? I'd never have guessed." And it's more than that. It's escaping a past that didn't fit in with my fantasy of who I wanted to become, who I wanted to be. It was an escape from a certain social class, an escape from parents whose customs, manners, interests felt alien to me - or maybe the truth was I wanted them to feel alien to me. I wanted to be my own creation!  But deep down I knew the truth. I knew it and it bothered me. I felt like there was really no escape. Not from The Bronx. Not from the lower income class that shaped me. Not from a mother who loved a bargain more than almost anything. And it bothered me. But lately something has changed. It&