Skip to main content

You can take the girl out of The Bronx, but...

Well, you know the rest. I have to confess for a long time I really tried to get rid of The Bronx. For a long time after that I thought I had. And for a long time I felt good about it. I'd escaped. No one could tell by my speech, my look, my style, etc. I used to love to hear, "You're from The Bronx? I'd never have guessed."

And it's more than that. It's escaping a past that didn't fit in with my fantasy of who I wanted to become, who I wanted to be. It was an escape from a certain social class, an escape from parents whose customs, manners, interests felt alien to me - or maybe the truth was I wanted them to feel alien to me. I wanted to be my own creation! 

But deep down I knew the truth. I knew it and it bothered me. I felt like there was really no escape. Not from The Bronx. Not from the lower income class that shaped me. Not from a mother who loved a bargain more than almost anything. And it bothered me.

But lately something has changed. It's been sneaking up on me. And for the first time it doesn't bother me. Is it an age thing? Do you have to reach a certain time in your life where you can appreciate where you've come from? Where you've been?

I have come a long way - in some ways - and I feel good about it. But I also feel good, finally, that in many ways I haven't mentally left my past behind me.

When I first started getting involved with auction hunting and selling my finds I just saw it as a new and exciting path. I love the thrill of having the top bid and feeling that I got a great deal. I love the thrill of selling that treasure and getting even more than I anticipated...

Oh God, it suddenly hit me! I'd become my mother!! Instinctively, I cringed. I had worked so hard not to be her. When all I did was write and publish books I thought I had "broken free." Except a peek beneath the surface and I see my mom reading many of the genres I wrote. I see my father spending all his spare time writing and trying to get something, anything published.

But my treasure hunting really brought it home with a jolt. My mother would have loved doing this. I am my mother!

And then it hit me. It was okay. I could be like her in this way. Probably in a lot of ways, but I won't get into that.

What's important to me here is a kind of acceptance of who I truly am.

I'm a girl from The Bronx. I can't get it out of me.
And I finally don't want to!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who invented thong undies and WHY???

Young women love them. I see so many of them wearing thong underwear. I "literally" see the thongs. Girls, do you know or care that when you're wearing jeans or any kind of low slung pants that when you bend over or even lean forward your thong strap shows? Maybe it's cool. Like having your bra straps show when you wear tank tops. One day a while back I was with my grown daughter (yes, she still wears thongs) and I was trying on a pair of pants. "God, mom, you can't wear those pants with those underpants. There's a line!!!" Now, I find this funny. It's bad to have the bottom lines of your panties show through your pants but it's apparently okay to have the waist band and the top of the thong part show when you lean forward. But, hey, my daughter was not going to give up on my need - yes, my need - for a pair of thongs. So, like all "obedient" mothers desirous of winning their daughter's approval I let her lead me to the underw

Why are older women "cougars" and older men..."lucky"?

To set my family's minds at ease I'm not a "cougar". But...I just find it damn offensive that older women who are interested or involved with younger men get labeled. And you can argue that a cougar is not a derogatory term but why don't older men who are into younger women (take that as a double entendre if you like) have a label? Why do these guys get winks and slaps on the back from their pals? I think even younger men look up to them. They're probably thinking - hey, look what's out there waiting for me when I get "old".  Too many older women get dumped by their husbands who then take up with a younger model. I know, I know - you can call it a cliche but really it got to be a cliche because it does happen so often. And isn't it downright eerie that so often these older guys literally find a younger woman who looks so like their once young wives?  Is it sex? Do these older guys want hot young babes so they can have hotter sex lives?

I'm losing count...

No, no, no, I'm not losing my memory or my mind (for the most part). What I'm losing count of is my age. I find myself forgetting, counting on my fingers. Is there a time when age becomes somewhat irrelevant? When I was 29 the thought of turning 30 was a BIG thing. The end of my twenties - it held such mixed emotions. Thirty was a big deal. It meant being grown up. It meant looking at life differently. I don't know if I really did. Maybe it was more to do with feelings than actions. And then came the BIG 40. Half a lifetime over. A time to evaluate. A time for a mid-life crisis? At least, for me, a mid-life change. Time to do what I always wanted to do but kept telling myself I had time. Now it seemed like time for a change was running out. That's when I tore up my social work license and committed myself to writing. Turning 40 turned out to be great. A real new beginning. A new sense of excitement, involvement, adventure. And yes, suffering rejections, struggling, feel