Skip to main content

It's deja vu...only in reverse!

I'm hearing my own words, words I've said in the past. Words I've said to my kids. When they were young. When I was fairly young myself.

Only now the words aren't coming out of my mouth. They're coming out of the mouths of my children. And they're saying these words to me. Go know how well they'd remember all the things I used to say to them. All the advice I gave them. Words of support. Of admonishment. Of warning. Of concern. You can do it if you put your mind to it. Don't just say you'll take care of something, actually take care of it. Is that really what you're going to wear?? If you spend all your time procrastinating you'll just feel bad about yourself. You have to stop obsessing; stop worrying; stop saying "but".

It's all very good advice my kids are giving me. Just like it was very good advice I gave them. And it's not like I still don't on occasion say this stuff to my kids. But now it's more a matter of a give and take.

If you think I mind it, you're dead wrong. I said these words to them with love and I feel love when they say them back to me. It's all about caring. And I have to say their words of encouragement, even admonishment, are not only well-meant but also right on the money. I'm struggling with issues that require me to step out of my comfort zone and, no big surprise here, I find that damn hard to do. Should I do it? Yes. Absolutely! Do I want to do it? Sure, on some intellectual level. But emotionally, the last thing I want to do is step out there where my comfort level is nil.

And here are my kids, prodding, cajoling, scolding, encouraging me...saying all the things, in short, I used to say to them. It's deja vu...only in reverse.

And it's having an effect. I'm slowly getting my toes wet in waters I never thought I'd have the courage to step in. I guess you could say I'm following in my children's footsteps!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who invented thong undies and WHY???

Young women love them. I see so many of them wearing thong underwear. I "literally" see the thongs. Girls, do you know or care that when you're wearing jeans or any kind of low slung pants that when you bend over or even lean forward your thong strap shows? Maybe it's cool. Like having your bra straps show when you wear tank tops. One day a while back I was with my grown daughter (yes, she still wears thongs) and I was trying on a pair of pants. "God, mom, you can't wear those pants with those underpants. There's a line!!!" Now, I find this funny. It's bad to have the bottom lines of your panties show through your pants but it's apparently okay to have the waist band and the top of the thong part show when you lean forward. But, hey, my daughter was not going to give up on my need - yes, my need - for a pair of thongs. So, like all "obedient" mothers desirous of winning their daughter's approval I let her lead me to the underw

Why are older women "cougars" and older men..."lucky"?

To set my family's minds at ease I'm not a "cougar". But...I just find it damn offensive that older women who are interested or involved with younger men get labeled. And you can argue that a cougar is not a derogatory term but why don't older men who are into younger women (take that as a double entendre if you like) have a label? Why do these guys get winks and slaps on the back from their pals? I think even younger men look up to them. They're probably thinking - hey, look what's out there waiting for me when I get "old".  Too many older women get dumped by their husbands who then take up with a younger model. I know, I know - you can call it a cliche but really it got to be a cliche because it does happen so often. And isn't it downright eerie that so often these older guys literally find a younger woman who looks so like their once young wives?  Is it sex? Do these older guys want hot young babes so they can have hotter sex lives?

Going to the doc is a whole new thing...

I injured my foot and I've been vegging on the couch watching way too much TV. But I am learning soooo much from commercials targeted for the "older" person. I'm being encouraged to go see my doc if I'm having...(blush) an incontinence problem; if Activa doesn't work maybe I should talk to my doc about meds for...irregularity. Oh, and there are so many meds I can now take for every ailment that assails older people but I do have to check with my doc about all of them because some cause blindness, brain damage, heart attacks, stroke, even death. I feel so encouraged by the strides we've made in modern medicine. We can now be cured of almost anything as long as we don't mind risking dropping dead. Oh, and there's a med for some problem (can't remember off-hand which one, there are so many) that really works but might cause...you guessed it...incontinence. So here I've come full circle. I think I'll forget about the meds, the doctor, t