Skip to main content

Thank God you can pick your friends!

My husband and I are about to celebrate the 50th wedding anniversary of very special friends. We met Ted and Deanna 36 years ago and we've stayed strongly connected through a number of moves (ours not theirs), illnesses, life's many ups and downs. We've shared sad times and joyous times. We've traveled together, spent wonderful visits at each others' homes. I'm sure we must have shared thousands of meals together. Thousands of laughs. They've always, ALWAYS been there for us and we have always tried to be there for them. History. We have a deep and meaningful shared history.

J. and I are  truly blessed to have a wonderful group of close friends and we value them all. But there are very few couples I've known and loved longer than this very special couple. You can't pick your blood relatives but thank God you can pick your friends. From the very first time we all met, J and I picked them. We were couples with young families. We were in the first decade of our careers. It seems like such a long time ago and yet it feels like yesterday.

Wasn't it yesterday when J. came home after first meeting Ted and Deanna and couldn't stop telling me how warm, welcoming, and caring they were?

Wasn't it yesterday when I was very pregnant with my daughter and left my two year old son with their twelve year old daughter and her friend, Deanna assuring me they would be very responsible babysitters? And of course they were.

Wasn't it yesterday when we celebrated their wonderful daughter's Bat Mitzvah?

Wasn't it yesterday when my 2 year old daughter, asleep under a restaurant table smelled chocolate fondue and climbed onto the table where Ted happily gave her her very first taste of chocolate?

Wasn't it yesterday when Deanna and I bought matching pairs of NYT crossword puzzle pajamas and both put them on for one of our many sleepovers?

And I certainly remember so many yesterdays when either J. or I were sick and worried we had some "deadly" disease when Ted (our forever doctor as well as our forever friend) was there for us, calmed us, took unbelievable care of us, made us feel that we were always in the best of hands. And of course we were. That's why he's now the physician to so many of my friends. I don't want those I love to see anyone else!

And how many yesterdays did I confide in Deanna and seek her wisdom and knowledge about myself, my children, my grand-children, even my friends, their children and on and on? Always, she listened and advised. Such sound, helpful advice. Such loving advice. 

Loving. Yes, that's it in a nutshell. They are loving. Loving to each other, to their family, to their friends. J. and I are so very blessed to be able to count ourselves as two of them.

I can't say enough about the value of having true friends. I guess that's what having such good friends is all about. There's never enough to say...and there's no way to say it all.

Happy 50th our dear, dear friends!  Yet another joyful event we get to celebrate together.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who invented thong undies and WHY???

Young women love them. I see so many of them wearing thong underwear. I "literally" see the thongs. Girls, do you know or care that when you're wearing jeans or any kind of low slung pants that when you bend over or even lean forward your thong strap shows? Maybe it's cool. Like having your bra straps show when you wear tank tops. One day a while back I was with my grown daughter (yes, she still wears thongs) and I was trying on a pair of pants. "God, mom, you can't wear those pants with those underpants. There's a line!!!" Now, I find this funny. It's bad to have the bottom lines of your panties show through your pants but it's apparently okay to have the waist band and the top of the thong part show when you lean forward. But, hey, my daughter was not going to give up on my need - yes, my need - for a pair of thongs. So, like all "obedient" mothers desirous of winning their daughter's approval I let her lead me to the underw

Why are older women "cougars" and older men..."lucky"?

To set my family's minds at ease I'm not a "cougar". But...I just find it damn offensive that older women who are interested or involved with younger men get labeled. And you can argue that a cougar is not a derogatory term but why don't older men who are into younger women (take that as a double entendre if you like) have a label? Why do these guys get winks and slaps on the back from their pals? I think even younger men look up to them. They're probably thinking - hey, look what's out there waiting for me when I get "old".  Too many older women get dumped by their husbands who then take up with a younger model. I know, I know - you can call it a cliche but really it got to be a cliche because it does happen so often. And isn't it downright eerie that so often these older guys literally find a younger woman who looks so like their once young wives?  Is it sex? Do these older guys want hot young babes so they can have hotter sex lives?

I'm losing count...

No, no, no, I'm not losing my memory or my mind (for the most part). What I'm losing count of is my age. I find myself forgetting, counting on my fingers. Is there a time when age becomes somewhat irrelevant? When I was 29 the thought of turning 30 was a BIG thing. The end of my twenties - it held such mixed emotions. Thirty was a big deal. It meant being grown up. It meant looking at life differently. I don't know if I really did. Maybe it was more to do with feelings than actions. And then came the BIG 40. Half a lifetime over. A time to evaluate. A time for a mid-life crisis? At least, for me, a mid-life change. Time to do what I always wanted to do but kept telling myself I had time. Now it seemed like time for a change was running out. That's when I tore up my social work license and committed myself to writing. Turning 40 turned out to be great. A real new beginning. A new sense of excitement, involvement, adventure. And yes, suffering rejections, struggling, feel