Skip to main content

Never die in Florida...

My dear friends came over for dinner last night. Her mom had passed away two weeks before. I knew her mom and loved her. She was very special and still vibrant and living life to the fullest at 91. Two weeks before she died she was playing golf. Her death come suddenly and quickly. If there is a best way I guess that's it.

Because my husband and I share a very special and loving relationship with R. and her husband and because enough time had passed R. was able to reflect on some of what had gone on regarding her mom's funeral. She started this way. We were at the table and she looked across at us and said, "Never die in Florida." She started with the funeral director who called her "Hon" and her brother M. "Buddy". Oh, and since the funeral guy (I think I'll call him "Putz" - non-Jews, ask your Jewish friends what that means) didn't want to travel to R.'s mother's house to make the funeral plans he reluctantly agreed to meet them halfway.

At a deli!

Picture the scene- sleazy Putz is on  one side of  the booth, his oozing pastrami sandwich and soup (I think it was soup) is in front of him and the funeral papers spread out around the food. Here's the gist of the conversation while he ate..."So Hon and Buddy, whaddah you want? The chapel? It'll cost you extra. What? Only seven of you? Just a graveside service? Jeez, that'll mean I gotta get a guy out there. I suppose you'll wanna check that it's your mom in the coffin. Tell ya what ya can do. We'll lift the lid before we lower her into the hole and you can check. What? You don't wanna do that? Guess you'll have to climb in the van and check then..."

Thank God R.'s mom was not able to hear any of this! She'd have socked Putz in the face!

But wait. It doesn't end there. Next comes the cemetery. It's June in Florida. It's hot. One of the cemetery guys - I'll call him "Schmuck" tells them since its boiling outside they can wait inside in the "conference room." until they're ready for them.

Conference room? Yeah, right! When was the last time any of you were in a conference room where one wall displayed end sections of the full assortment of coffins for you to choose from???? This is where the family was told to wait before they buried their beloved mother!

If the dead only knew. Again, thank God they don't.

Never die in Florida.
I have a feeling there's no good place for dying. So it really is a good thing that when you die you're dead and don't have to know how disgustingly the putzes and schucks who are in the business of dealing with the deceased are treating them and their loving families.

Dearest Celia, I'm so glad your life was full of love and joy. I will miss you dearly. May you truly rest in peace.

postscript from my friend R.  about my blog entry:" I thanked you for your beautiful comments about my mom and said how much she loved you!

I added that the soup was in fact split pea. Then I added the story about upon arrival home when I called the funeral chapel about the obituary, they warned me about the Edith Hal lettering fees for the stone. Told them that I had a couple of months to worry about that, at least until after the shiva...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's get rid of the "pipe" in pipe dreams!

I have had dreams of doing any number of things all my life. Either I or others were quick to label them "pipe" dreams. "Pipe" as in foolish, impractical, ridiculous? A lot of people my age have come to realize that dreams are not the stuff of foolishness. The other day I got an email from a neighbor/friend from my old town who'd discovered my blog. She told me she had started a new "cottage" business of selling greeting cards with her amazing photos on them. Here's her site because you all really should check out these very original cards - www.jgfischel.com It was a reminder to me that no matter our age, young, middle, older, oldest, we have the opportunity to dream new dreams, or capture old dreams and actualize them. We can stop identifying them as "pipe" dreams. I think many of us have spent a good portion of our adult lives  on being practical, cautious, and maybe feeling a little scared or a lot scared. Many of us stifled our cre

Thank God you can pick your friends!

My husband and I are about to celebrate the 50th wedding anniversary of very special friends. We met Ted and Deanna 36 years ago and we've stayed strongly connected through a number of moves (ours not theirs), illnesses, life's many ups and downs. We've shared sad times and joyous times. We've traveled together, spent wonderful visits at each others' homes. I'm sure we must have shared thousands of meals together. Thousands of laughs. They've always, ALWAYS been there for us and we have always tried to be there for them. History. We have a deep and meaningful shared history. J. and I are  truly blessed to have a wonderful group of close friends and we value them all. But there are very few couples I've known and loved longer than this very special couple. You can't pick your blood relatives but thank God you can pick your friends. From the very first time we all met, J and I picked them. We were couples with young families. We were in the first dec

You can take the girl out of The Bronx, but...

Well, you know the rest. I have to confess for a long time I really tried to get rid of The Bronx. For a long time after that I thought I had. And for a long time I felt good about it. I'd escaped. No one could tell by my speech, my look, my style, etc. I used to love to hear, "You're from The Bronx? I'd never have guessed." And it's more than that. It's escaping a past that didn't fit in with my fantasy of who I wanted to become, who I wanted to be. It was an escape from a certain social class, an escape from parents whose customs, manners, interests felt alien to me - or maybe the truth was I wanted them to feel alien to me. I wanted to be my own creation!  But deep down I knew the truth. I knew it and it bothered me. I felt like there was really no escape. Not from The Bronx. Not from the lower income class that shaped me. Not from a mother who loved a bargain more than almost anything. And it bothered me. But lately something has changed. It&