Skip to main content

Never die in Florida...

My dear friends came over for dinner last night. Her mom had passed away two weeks before. I knew her mom and loved her. She was very special and still vibrant and living life to the fullest at 91. Two weeks before she died she was playing golf. Her death come suddenly and quickly. If there is a best way I guess that's it.

Because my husband and I share a very special and loving relationship with R. and her husband and because enough time had passed R. was able to reflect on some of what had gone on regarding her mom's funeral. She started this way. We were at the table and she looked across at us and said, "Never die in Florida." She started with the funeral director who called her "Hon" and her brother M. "Buddy". Oh, and since the funeral guy (I think I'll call him "Putz" - non-Jews, ask your Jewish friends what that means) didn't want to travel to R.'s mother's house to make the funeral plans he reluctantly agreed to meet them halfway.

At a deli!

Picture the scene- sleazy Putz is on  one side of  the booth, his oozing pastrami sandwich and soup (I think it was soup) is in front of him and the funeral papers spread out around the food. Here's the gist of the conversation while he ate..."So Hon and Buddy, whaddah you want? The chapel? It'll cost you extra. What? Only seven of you? Just a graveside service? Jeez, that'll mean I gotta get a guy out there. I suppose you'll wanna check that it's your mom in the coffin. Tell ya what ya can do. We'll lift the lid before we lower her into the hole and you can check. What? You don't wanna do that? Guess you'll have to climb in the van and check then..."

Thank God R.'s mom was not able to hear any of this! She'd have socked Putz in the face!

But wait. It doesn't end there. Next comes the cemetery. It's June in Florida. It's hot. One of the cemetery guys - I'll call him "Schmuck" tells them since its boiling outside they can wait inside in the "conference room." until they're ready for them.

Conference room? Yeah, right! When was the last time any of you were in a conference room where one wall displayed end sections of the full assortment of coffins for you to choose from???? This is where the family was told to wait before they buried their beloved mother!

If the dead only knew. Again, thank God they don't.

Never die in Florida.
I have a feeling there's no good place for dying. So it really is a good thing that when you die you're dead and don't have to know how disgustingly the putzes and schucks who are in the business of dealing with the deceased are treating them and their loving families.

Dearest Celia, I'm so glad your life was full of love and joy. I will miss you dearly. May you truly rest in peace.

postscript from my friend R.  about my blog entry:" I thanked you for your beautiful comments about my mom and said how much she loved you!

I added that the soup was in fact split pea. Then I added the story about upon arrival home when I called the funeral chapel about the obituary, they warned me about the Edith Hal lettering fees for the stone. Told them that I had a couple of months to worry about that, at least until after the shiva...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who invented thong undies and WHY???

Young women love them. I see so many of them wearing thong underwear. I "literally" see the thongs. Girls, do you know or care that when you're wearing jeans or any kind of low slung pants that when you bend over or even lean forward your thong strap shows? Maybe it's cool. Like having your bra straps show when you wear tank tops. One day a while back I was with my grown daughter (yes, she still wears thongs) and I was trying on a pair of pants. "God, mom, you can't wear those pants with those underpants. There's a line!!!" Now, I find this funny. It's bad to have the bottom lines of your panties show through your pants but it's apparently okay to have the waist band and the top of the thong part show when you lean forward. But, hey, my daughter was not going to give up on my need - yes, my need - for a pair of thongs. So, like all "obedient" mothers desirous of winning their daughter's approval I let her lead me to the underw...

Why are older women "cougars" and older men..."lucky"?

To set my family's minds at ease I'm not a "cougar". But...I just find it damn offensive that older women who are interested or involved with younger men get labeled. And you can argue that a cougar is not a derogatory term but why don't older men who are into younger women (take that as a double entendre if you like) have a label? Why do these guys get winks and slaps on the back from their pals? I think even younger men look up to them. They're probably thinking - hey, look what's out there waiting for me when I get "old".  Too many older women get dumped by their husbands who then take up with a younger model. I know, I know - you can call it a cliche but really it got to be a cliche because it does happen so often. And isn't it downright eerie that so often these older guys literally find a younger woman who looks so like their once young wives?  Is it sex? Do these older guys want hot young babes so they can have hotter sex lives? ...

You Look Good...For Your Age

When did that start? I remember the times someone would say, Hey, you look good. Maybe at a wedding, after a long time no see, whatever. Whether you were once a beauty or not, you've all heard it. You look good. So when did the tag-on...for your age...begin? Forties? Fifties? Sixties? And beyond? And why is it on the one hand I take it as a compliment when I get the tag-on, and other times it leaves me feeling annoyed? Are we only supposed to look good when we're young and then when we get older we need the tag on because older people aren't supposed to look good anymore? Men get the tag on, too, but I'm willing to bet not as often as women. I hear women and other men tell my husband, "you look good". It might be because he's lost some weight, is wearing a nice sweater, has a bit of color from the sun, whatever. But I can't tell you how many times I get the "You look good...for your age."  I get it from people my age but I especially get i...