Skip to main content

HOLI-DAZE, SICK DAZE, PLAIN OLD SO-SO DAZE...

I've been on a journey. Like all journeys there have been ups, downs and someplace in between. This journey definitely has had an effect on writing my blog. Sometimes I think there's too much to say, sometimes I feel there's really nothing to say, and sometimes I felt like I was experiencing writer's blog. Part of my journey has been sorting it all out. It began during my vacation daze. Vacations combine fun, new experiences, excitement, relaxation etc etc. This was a particularly great vacation. Lots of fun and joy. A feeling of closeness with my husband. A wonderful realization of how lucky I am to have a partner who either loves to do the same things I love to do or at least is willing, in the best of spirits, to go along with things I want to do and I do my best to reciprocate. Everything about this vacation was so good. And yet...I couldn't help compare myself as a vacationer now and when I was young. As much as I don't focus on it, with age comes...well, adjustments. I can no longer walk forever, drink wine at lunch without wanting a nap afterward, take in a couple of shows in one day and fill in with a museum, shopping, whatever. I get tired sooner. Things...hurt. It was an adjustment.

And then came those sick daze. My body seems to be speaking to me more often these days, and to be perfectly frank, I'm not thrilled with some to the things they have to say. Mostly I hear "ouch". My heel hurts...something called planters fascitis (I still can't spell it without looking it up). My adult onset asthma flared up. I've had to see...doctors. I remember when "older people" seemed to spend their days going from one doctor's appointment to another. It seemed like they'd see doctors for every part of their body. And just yesterday my husband observed I had 3 doctors' appointments this week. That really hurt more than any part of my body. This is not a journey I want to go on yet. I didn't sign up for it. I don't want it to be a part of an ongoing process. I want off this journey.

And, okay, I admit I've been having writer's depression. After spending over 25 years publishing books I've come to a stand still over the past few years. My latest books haven't done well or haven't gotten accepted. My biggest disappointment was a book about my pseudo-self and my 5 pseudo-friends, all in our sixties, who each find that love is far from over. Each of us have a special little love story and I have to admit writing it brightened my mood and I had a lot of fun with it. Publishers rejected it-for all kinds of reasons, but the one that pissed me off the most was that it was a topic that was very limited! Hey folks, everyone's going to get old if they're lucky. I wanted to point out that being 60+ wasn't the end of romance.

I was finally able to write this blog when I realized, if the last 3 publishers also reject my book,  I could just self-publish this book which like my blog is called BETTER LATE. It will start on my site with the first "love story" being free and then there'll be a small charge for each subsequent chapter. I will be sure to let whoever reads my blog know about it and hope some of you will check it out.

I feel like I'm entering Happy Daze. To whatever extent possible, my life is in my hands. I have the ability to shape and mold it. It actually makes me feel younger and more energetic. I think it's always better to look to oneself first for inner joy and satisfaction. Am I looking for all the work involved? The way I see it, it's another journey. And I really think it's going to be a good one! I want to go on as many positive journeys as possible. I hope you all feel the same way. Let me know. I really wish I'd hear from any readers as I often feel these blogs are merely a private exercise. Not that that's bad. But I'd love some buddies!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's get rid of the "pipe" in pipe dreams!

I have had dreams of doing any number of things all my life. Either I or others were quick to label them "pipe" dreams. "Pipe" as in foolish, impractical, ridiculous? A lot of people my age have come to realize that dreams are not the stuff of foolishness. The other day I got an email from a neighbor/friend from my old town who'd discovered my blog. She told me she had started a new "cottage" business of selling greeting cards with her amazing photos on them. Here's her site because you all really should check out these very original cards - www.jgfischel.com It was a reminder to me that no matter our age, young, middle, older, oldest, we have the opportunity to dream new dreams, or capture old dreams and actualize them. We can stop identifying them as "pipe" dreams. I think many of us have spent a good portion of our adult lives  on being practical, cautious, and maybe feeling a little scared or a lot scared. Many of us stifled our cre

Thank God you can pick your friends!

My husband and I are about to celebrate the 50th wedding anniversary of very special friends. We met Ted and Deanna 36 years ago and we've stayed strongly connected through a number of moves (ours not theirs), illnesses, life's many ups and downs. We've shared sad times and joyous times. We've traveled together, spent wonderful visits at each others' homes. I'm sure we must have shared thousands of meals together. Thousands of laughs. They've always, ALWAYS been there for us and we have always tried to be there for them. History. We have a deep and meaningful shared history. J. and I are  truly blessed to have a wonderful group of close friends and we value them all. But there are very few couples I've known and loved longer than this very special couple. You can't pick your blood relatives but thank God you can pick your friends. From the very first time we all met, J and I picked them. We were couples with young families. We were in the first dec

You can take the girl out of The Bronx, but...

Well, you know the rest. I have to confess for a long time I really tried to get rid of The Bronx. For a long time after that I thought I had. And for a long time I felt good about it. I'd escaped. No one could tell by my speech, my look, my style, etc. I used to love to hear, "You're from The Bronx? I'd never have guessed." And it's more than that. It's escaping a past that didn't fit in with my fantasy of who I wanted to become, who I wanted to be. It was an escape from a certain social class, an escape from parents whose customs, manners, interests felt alien to me - or maybe the truth was I wanted them to feel alien to me. I wanted to be my own creation!  But deep down I knew the truth. I knew it and it bothered me. I felt like there was really no escape. Not from The Bronx. Not from the lower income class that shaped me. Not from a mother who loved a bargain more than almost anything. And it bothered me. But lately something has changed. It&