Skip to main content

Five bucks may not get you a latte but...

A while back my son decided to take one of my thrillers and do a clever video and create an ebook for it. He had to have a new cover made and when I saw it I was quite impressed. I assumed he knew someone in the biz who did it for him and didn't charge much because I knew at the time he didn't want to over-invest. Recently I decided to take 3 of my mysteries that were never published in the English language (if you read German you can get them all!) and put them up as ebooks on Amazon. I needed covers for all three. I called my son and asked him who did the cover for CHAIN REACTION and when he explained there was this site called Fiverr.com a whole new world opened for me. An amazing world of commerce and opportunity. OMG, what you can buy for five bucks! Not only an awesome ebook cover (check out the three I had done by a fantastic guy named Eddie-all for $15.) but  almost anything else you can imagine. Talk about a "freelance life" to harken back to my last entry. Oh, it's not a get rich scheme but it's a chance to use your creativity, ingenuity, and have fun. Anyone can offer to make or do something for five bucks (well, I'm sure not anything) but here a few examples of what five bucks will get you:
"I will hold up a sign of anything you want and take a photo."
"I will make a 1 minute commercial or testimonial for your website or company."
Just in time for the holidays - "I will send your child a letter from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer."
"I will send you 2 original Asian recipes."
"I will write a specialty song for you."
"I will show you how to get on any Walmart intercom speaker."
Here's one of my funky favorites - "I will advertise any name for you on my body."

EACH OF THESE FOR A MEASLY FIVE BUCKS!!!
And there are thousands, yes thousands more.

I love this site. I love Eddie (in a purely professional way, of course. He didn't just toss out slapdash covers for me. He spent hours upon hours, sent me several sample ideas, incorporated my ideas. I was blown away. He's now doing 5 more covers for me.)

So I asked Eddie - Why? Five bucks for all this work? And his answer made sense. He wants to do this kind of work professionally and this is a chance for him to gain experience, get exposure, learn while he actually earns a few bucks.

Fiverr or a latte? Do you have to ask which I'd choose?
And here's one last thing I love about Fiverr. It doesn't matter how young or how old you are. It's all about what you can do. If you want to do something it's truly never too late!

Please check out fiverr even if you don't want to buy something or offer something for sale. It's just so clever!

Comments

  1. ''Fiverr or a latte? Do you have to ask which I'd choose?
    And here's one last thing I love about Fiverr. It doesn't matter how young or how old you are. It's all about what you can do. If you want to do something it's truly never too late!''

    Nice paragraph and interesting post. Yes, indeed, fiverr is amazing. If you need more info about fiverr world check this

    http://fiverrway.com/top-20-best-micro-job-sites-december-2010/

    Thank you and wish you Happy New Year!!!

    Christian

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Let's get rid of the "pipe" in pipe dreams!

I have had dreams of doing any number of things all my life. Either I or others were quick to label them "pipe" dreams. "Pipe" as in foolish, impractical, ridiculous? A lot of people my age have come to realize that dreams are not the stuff of foolishness. The other day I got an email from a neighbor/friend from my old town who'd discovered my blog. She told me she had started a new "cottage" business of selling greeting cards with her amazing photos on them. Here's her site because you all really should check out these very original cards - www.jgfischel.com It was a reminder to me that no matter our age, young, middle, older, oldest, we have the opportunity to dream new dreams, or capture old dreams and actualize them. We can stop identifying them as "pipe" dreams. I think many of us have spent a good portion of our adult lives  on being practical, cautious, and maybe feeling a little scared or a lot scared. Many of us stifled our cre

You can take the girl out of The Bronx, but...

Well, you know the rest. I have to confess for a long time I really tried to get rid of The Bronx. For a long time after that I thought I had. And for a long time I felt good about it. I'd escaped. No one could tell by my speech, my look, my style, etc. I used to love to hear, "You're from The Bronx? I'd never have guessed." And it's more than that. It's escaping a past that didn't fit in with my fantasy of who I wanted to become, who I wanted to be. It was an escape from a certain social class, an escape from parents whose customs, manners, interests felt alien to me - or maybe the truth was I wanted them to feel alien to me. I wanted to be my own creation!  But deep down I knew the truth. I knew it and it bothered me. I felt like there was really no escape. Not from The Bronx. Not from the lower income class that shaped me. Not from a mother who loved a bargain more than almost anything. And it bothered me. But lately something has changed. It&

Thank God you can pick your friends!

My husband and I are about to celebrate the 50th wedding anniversary of very special friends. We met Ted and Deanna 36 years ago and we've stayed strongly connected through a number of moves (ours not theirs), illnesses, life's many ups and downs. We've shared sad times and joyous times. We've traveled together, spent wonderful visits at each others' homes. I'm sure we must have shared thousands of meals together. Thousands of laughs. They've always, ALWAYS been there for us and we have always tried to be there for them. History. We have a deep and meaningful shared history. J. and I are  truly blessed to have a wonderful group of close friends and we value them all. But there are very few couples I've known and loved longer than this very special couple. You can't pick your blood relatives but thank God you can pick your friends. From the very first time we all met, J and I picked them. We were couples with young families. We were in the first dec