Skip to main content

This is very confusing

It started this morning. I'm addicted to Masterpiece Mysteries (no wonder since I've written mystery novels for umpteen years) and this latest series is based on a Swedish mystery series that I've followed over the years. A bit of a SPOILER here if anyone is going to watch "WALLANDER" starring Kenneth Branagh. Ken has aged quite nicely. I find him quite attractive and it's admittedly part of why I watch the series although to give it its due I like dark, melancholy mysteries. So I'm watching the show and, yes, noticing how very attractive Ken is and then his father, i.e. the Wallender character's father dies. And Ken is standing at his dad's grave site and I notice the dates on the father's gravestone- mind you, this dad had looked damn old, almost decrepit - and I see he was born only eight years before me! And I start calculating in my head...

OMG! Kenneth Branagh could be young enough to be my son. And that starts a flurry of names running through my head - George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Hugh Jackman.

I need to pause here to catch my breath and then let you all know I saw Hugh Jackman in person with my group of gal pals and we sat in the audience drooling over Hugh. And then after the show, Hugh held an auction for AIDs relief for actors, some lucky lady in the audience would win the chance to go backstage to meet Hugh in person and...be still my pounding heart...have Hugh give her (unless a gay man won) the sweaty tee shirt he wore during the performance. The winner - a woman who looked to be in her sixties - bid $5000 and won. Then Hugh said, what the hell, anyone in the audience willing to dish out $1500 could also come backstage and meet him - no sweat-covered tee shirt - but still. And at least a dozen women - all of an age - whipped out their checkbooks.

I wanted to whip out mine. All my gal pals did, too. But $1500, even for Hugh not to mention a worthy charity...None of us could do it. That kind of money wasn't chicken feed to us. We all left a bit disappointed, a bit envious, and definitely more than a bit...well, turned on. We were ogling teenagers. We were all mad for Hugh.

Hugh Jackson is young enough to be my son. It all just hit me this morning. I've been having incestuous fantasies. And I'm not alone. I'm far from alone.

Is it denial of how old I am? Is it just human nature, no matter how old you get, to swoon over younger actors?

I do find it a bit unnerving. So, I think tonight, I'll get out a DVD starring Harrison Ford. I checked. Thank God he's in his sixties.

Okay, now I feel better. Harry is still damn sexy!

Comments

  1. Did Hugh really give out his sweaty tee-shirt? That would be amazing for a lot of ladies out there. I would have loved it for the full-color printed shirts design that he's got on when I saw him at the Rodeo Dr. He just always wears the same shirt I think.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who invented thong undies and WHY???

Young women love them. I see so many of them wearing thong underwear. I "literally" see the thongs. Girls, do you know or care that when you're wearing jeans or any kind of low slung pants that when you bend over or even lean forward your thong strap shows? Maybe it's cool. Like having your bra straps show when you wear tank tops. One day a while back I was with my grown daughter (yes, she still wears thongs) and I was trying on a pair of pants. "God, mom, you can't wear those pants with those underpants. There's a line!!!" Now, I find this funny. It's bad to have the bottom lines of your panties show through your pants but it's apparently okay to have the waist band and the top of the thong part show when you lean forward. But, hey, my daughter was not going to give up on my need - yes, my need - for a pair of thongs. So, like all "obedient" mothers desirous of winning their daughter's approval I let her lead me to the underw...

Why are older women "cougars" and older men..."lucky"?

To set my family's minds at ease I'm not a "cougar". But...I just find it damn offensive that older women who are interested or involved with younger men get labeled. And you can argue that a cougar is not a derogatory term but why don't older men who are into younger women (take that as a double entendre if you like) have a label? Why do these guys get winks and slaps on the back from their pals? I think even younger men look up to them. They're probably thinking - hey, look what's out there waiting for me when I get "old".  Too many older women get dumped by their husbands who then take up with a younger model. I know, I know - you can call it a cliche but really it got to be a cliche because it does happen so often. And isn't it downright eerie that so often these older guys literally find a younger woman who looks so like their once young wives?  Is it sex? Do these older guys want hot young babes so they can have hotter sex lives? ...

You Look Good...For Your Age

When did that start? I remember the times someone would say, Hey, you look good. Maybe at a wedding, after a long time no see, whatever. Whether you were once a beauty or not, you've all heard it. You look good. So when did the tag-on...for your age...begin? Forties? Fifties? Sixties? And beyond? And why is it on the one hand I take it as a compliment when I get the tag-on, and other times it leaves me feeling annoyed? Are we only supposed to look good when we're young and then when we get older we need the tag on because older people aren't supposed to look good anymore? Men get the tag on, too, but I'm willing to bet not as often as women. I hear women and other men tell my husband, "you look good". It might be because he's lost some weight, is wearing a nice sweater, has a bit of color from the sun, whatever. But I can't tell you how many times I get the "You look good...for your age."  I get it from people my age but I especially get i...