Skip to main content

As we grow older our McDreamies seem to get younger

So the other day a friend commented "I used to fantasize about Harrison Ford but now he's too old for me." (Sorry Harrison if you're reading this). Now this friend who is pretty close in age to Harrison opts to fantasize about a younger McDreamy. I realized my own McDreamies have gotten younger, too. I did a totally non-statistical survey and this seems to be a common trend.

Now when I was in my teens I actually fantasized about Cary Grant - not the Cary Grant who was then doing movies but the gorgeous suave actor whose movies I watched on TV from the '30's. Then as I entered my twenties I started fantasizing about actors closer to my own age. This seemed-well-"realistic".
Matched age-wise we could meet by chance and given that we were compatible age-wise well, it could happen - speaking purely in fantasy now since I was and still am happily married. But if I was going to have fantasies back then I wanted them to be realistic! 

Like my friend I used to have a crush on Harrison Ford. Yet, when she mentioned recently that he'd gotten too old I realized I felt the same way (again, sorry Harrison). It's ageism pure and simple. And with a good dollop of denial tossed in. As women who are of a certain age, we no longer want realistic fantasies. Realism isn't what it used to be back in the day. Just like older men fantasize about younger women, women have equality in that arena. And sometimes for both some men and some women these fantasies actually do become realities. (This connects back to one of my older blogs about women are cougers, men are just lucky).

I've been thinking about this phenomena a lot lately. So much so I find I'm not fantasizing as much about all those gorgeous young McDreamies out there in my imagination. Sorry guys, I'll get back to our romantic encounters in a bit. I'm comforted by the knowledge you'll all be waiting for me...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who invented thong undies and WHY???

Young women love them. I see so many of them wearing thong underwear. I "literally" see the thongs. Girls, do you know or care that when you're wearing jeans or any kind of low slung pants that when you bend over or even lean forward your thong strap shows? Maybe it's cool. Like having your bra straps show when you wear tank tops. One day a while back I was with my grown daughter (yes, she still wears thongs) and I was trying on a pair of pants. "God, mom, you can't wear those pants with those underpants. There's a line!!!" Now, I find this funny. It's bad to have the bottom lines of your panties show through your pants but it's apparently okay to have the waist band and the top of the thong part show when you lean forward. But, hey, my daughter was not going to give up on my need - yes, my need - for a pair of thongs. So, like all "obedient" mothers desirous of winning their daughter's approval I let her lead me to the underw...

Why are older women "cougars" and older men..."lucky"?

To set my family's minds at ease I'm not a "cougar". But...I just find it damn offensive that older women who are interested or involved with younger men get labeled. And you can argue that a cougar is not a derogatory term but why don't older men who are into younger women (take that as a double entendre if you like) have a label? Why do these guys get winks and slaps on the back from their pals? I think even younger men look up to them. They're probably thinking - hey, look what's out there waiting for me when I get "old".  Too many older women get dumped by their husbands who then take up with a younger model. I know, I know - you can call it a cliche but really it got to be a cliche because it does happen so often. And isn't it downright eerie that so often these older guys literally find a younger woman who looks so like their once young wives?  Is it sex? Do these older guys want hot young babes so they can have hotter sex lives? ...

You Look Good...For Your Age

When did that start? I remember the times someone would say, Hey, you look good. Maybe at a wedding, after a long time no see, whatever. Whether you were once a beauty or not, you've all heard it. You look good. So when did the tag-on...for your age...begin? Forties? Fifties? Sixties? And beyond? And why is it on the one hand I take it as a compliment when I get the tag-on, and other times it leaves me feeling annoyed? Are we only supposed to look good when we're young and then when we get older we need the tag on because older people aren't supposed to look good anymore? Men get the tag on, too, but I'm willing to bet not as often as women. I hear women and other men tell my husband, "you look good". It might be because he's lost some weight, is wearing a nice sweater, has a bit of color from the sun, whatever. But I can't tell you how many times I get the "You look good...for your age."  I get it from people my age but I especially get i...